Last Updated: April 14, 2020
This Agreement is between you and Vitagene, Inc. (“Company” or “we” or “us”) concerning your use of (including any access to) https://vitagene.com/ and https://1health.io/ (together with any materials, Products (as defined below) and services available therein, and successor site(s) thereto, the “Services”). This Agreement hereby incorporates by this reference any additional terms and conditions posted by Company through the Services, or otherwise made available to you by Company.
By using the Services, you affirm that you are of legal age to enter into this Agreement.
If you are an individual accessing or using the Services on behalf of, or for the benefit of, any corporation, partnership or other entity with which you are associated (an “Organization”), then you are agreeing to this Agreement on behalf of yourself and such Organization, and you represent and warrant that you have the legal authority to bind such Organization to this Agreement. References to “you” and “your” in this Agreement will refer to both the individual using the Services and to any such Organization.
This Agreement contains a mandatory arbitration provision that, as further set forth in Section 19 below, requires the use of arbitration on an individual basis to resolve disputes, rather than jury trials or any other court proceedings, or class actions of any kind.
- Changes. We may change this Agreement from time to time by notifying you of such changes by any reasonable means, including by posting a revised Agreement through the Services. Any such changes will not apply to any dispute between you and us arising prior to the date on which we posted the revised Agreement incorporating such changes, or otherwise notified you of such changes.
Your use of the Services following any changes to this Agreement will constitute your acceptance of such changes. The “Last Updated” legend above indicates when this Agreement was last changed. We may, at any time and without liability, modify or discontinue all or part of the Services (including access to the Services via any third-party links); charge, modify or waive any fees required to use the Services; or offer opportunities to some or all Services users.
- Jurisdictional Issues. The Services is controlled or operated (or both) from the United States, and is not intended to subject Company to any non-U.S. jurisdiction or law. The Services may not be appropriate or available for use in some non-U.S. jurisdictions. Any use of the Services is at your own risk, and you must comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations in doing so. We may limit the availability of the Services at any time, in whole or in part, to any person, geographic area or jurisdiction that we choose.
- Rules of Conduct. In connection with the Services, you must not:
- Post, transmit or otherwise make available through or in connection with the Services any materials that are or may be: (a) threatening, harassing, degrading, hateful or intimidating, or otherwise fail to respect the rights and dignity of others; (b) defamatory, libelous, fraudulent or otherwise tortious; (c) obscene, indecent, pornographic or otherwise objectionable; or (d) protected by copyright, trademark, trade secret, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right, without the express prior written consent of the applicable owner.
- Post, transmit or otherwise make available through or in connection with the Services any virus, worm, Trojan horse, Easter egg, time bomb, spyware or other computer code, file or program that is or is potentially harmful or invasive or intended to damage or hijack the operation of, or to monitor the use of, any hardware, software or equipment (each, a “Virus”).
- Use the Services for any commercial purpose, or for any purpose that is fraudulent or otherwise tortious or unlawful.
- Impersonate any person, including falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person.
- Use the Services for any forensic use.
- Harvest or collect information about users of the Services.
- Interfere with or disrupt the operation of the Services or the servers or networks used to make the Services available, including by hacking or defacing any portion of the Services; or violate any requirement, procedure or policy of such servers or networks.
- Restrict or inhibit any other person from using the Services.
- Reproduce, modify, adapt, translate, create derivative works of, sell, rent, lease, loan, timeshare, distribute or otherwise exploit any portion of (or any use of) the Services except as expressly authorized herein, without Company’s express prior written consent.
- Reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble any portion of the Services, except where such restriction is expressly prohibited by applicable law.
- Remove any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notice from the Services.
- Frame or mirror any portion of the Services, or otherwise incorporate any portion of the Services into any product or service, without Company’s express prior written consent.
- Systematically download and store Services content.
- Use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application or other manual or automatic device to retrieve, index, “scrape,” “data mine” or otherwise gather Services content, or reproduce or circumvent the navigational structure or presentation of the Services, without Company’s express prior written consent.
You are responsible for obtaining, maintaining and paying for all hardware and all telecommunications and other services needed to use the Services.
- Disclaimer of Medical Warranties. The Services (including any content and Products) are available for informational and educational purposes only and are not a substitute for the professional judgment of a health care professional in diagnosing and treating patients. Company does not give medical advice, nor does it provide medical or diagnostic services. Additionally, the use of the Services does not establish a physician-patient relationship. Your reliance upon the Services (including any information, content or Products available on or through the Services) obtained by you through the Services is solely at your own risk. Always seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have seen or read on or through the Services. Neither we nor our Content providers assume any liability or responsibility for damage or injury (including death) to you, other persons or property arising from any use of any product, information, idea or instruction made available on or through the Services provided to you.
- Products. The Services may make available listings, descriptions and images of goods or services or related coupons or discounts (collectively, “Products”), as well as references and links to Products. Such Products may be made available by Company or by third parties, and may be made available for any purpose, including general information purposes. The availability through the Services of any listing, description or image of a Product made or provided to us by a third party, such as supplements, does not imply our endorsement of such Product or affiliation with the provider of such Product. We make no representations as to the completeness, accuracy, reliability, validity or timeliness of such listings, descriptions or images (including any features, specifications and prices contained therein). Such information and the availability of any Product (including the validity of any coupon or discount) are subject to change at any time without notice. Certain weights, measures and similar descriptions are approximate and are for convenience only. We make reasonable efforts to accurately display the attributes of Products, including the applicable colors, however the actual colors you see will depend on your computer system, and we cannot guarantee that your computer will accurately display such colors. It is your responsibility to ascertain and obey all applicable local, state, federal and foreign laws (including minimum age requirements) regarding the purchase, possession and use of any Product.
Regarding any test kit purchased on or after April 6, 2020, you must submit such test kit to Company for processing within one year from the date on which the test kit was purchased from Company. You acknowledge and agree that Company has no obligation to process any test kits, or return their results, if test kits are submitted for processing more than one year after the date of purchase of such test kit.
- Transactions. We may make available the ability to purchase or otherwise obtain certain Products through the Services (a “Transaction”). If you wish to make a Transaction, you may be asked to supply certain relevant information, such as your credit card number and its expiration date, your billing address and your shipping information. You represent and warrant that you have the right to use any credit card that you submit in connection with a Transaction. By submitting such information, you grant to us the right to provide such information to third parties for purposes of facilitating Transactions. Verification of information may be required prior to the acknowledgment or completion of any Transaction. By making a Transaction, you represent that the applicable Products will be used only in a lawful manner.
Company reserves the right, including without prior notice, to limit the available quantity of or discontinue making available any Product; to impose conditions on the honoring of any coupon, discount or similar promotion; to bar any user from making any Transaction; and to refuse to provide any user with any Product. Refunds and exchanges will be subject to Company’s applicable refund and exchange policies. You agree to pay all charges incurred by you or on your behalf through the Services, at the prices in effect when such charges are incurred, including all shipping and handling charges. In addition, you are responsible for any taxes applicable to your Transactions. While it is our practice to confirm orders by e-mail, the receipt of an e-mail order confirmation does not constitute our acceptance of an order or our confirmation of an offer to sell a product or service.
Products will be shipped to an address designated by you, if applicable, so long as such address is complete and complies with the shipping restrictions contained on the Services. All Transactions are made pursuant to a shipment contract and, as a result, risk of loss and title for Products pass to you upon delivery of the Products to the carrier. You are responsible for filing any claims with carriers for damaged and/or lost shipments.
- Registration; User Names and Passwords. You may need to register to use all or part of the Services. We may reject, or require that you change, any user name, password or other information that you provide to us in registering. Your user name and password are for your personal use only and should be kept confidential; you, and not Company, are responsible for any use or misuse of your user name or password, and you must promptly notify us of any confidentiality breach or unauthorized use of your user name or password, or your Services account.
- Profiles and Forums. Services visitors may make available certain materials (each, a “Submission”) through or in connection with the Services, including on profile pages or on the interactive services of the Services, such as message boards and other forums, and chatting, commenting and other messaging functionality. Company has no control over and is not responsible for any use or misuse (including any distribution) by any third party of Submissions. If you choose to make any of your personally identifiable or other information publicly available through the Services, you do so at your own risk.
- License. For purposes of clarity, you retain ownership of your Submissions. For each Submission, you hereby grant to us a worldwide, royalty-free, fully paid-up, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, transferable and fully sublicensable (through multiple tiers) license, without additional consideration to you or any third party, to reproduce, distribute, perform and display (publicly or otherwise), create derivative works of, adapt, modify and otherwise use, analyze and exploit such Submission, in any format or media now known or hereafter developed, and for any purpose (including promotional purposes, such as testimonials).
In addition, if you provide to us any ideas, proposals, suggestions or other materials (“Feedback”), whether related to the Services or otherwise, such Feedback will be deemed a Submission, and you hereby acknowledge and agree that such Feedback is not confidential, and that your provision of such Feedback is gratuitous, unsolicited and without restriction, and does not place Company under any fiduciary or other obligation.
You represent and warrant that you have all rights necessary to grant the licenses granted in this section, and that your Submissions, and your provision thereof through and in connection with the Services, are complete and accurate, and are not fraudulent, tortious or otherwise in violation of any applicable law or any right of any third party. You further irrevocably waive any “moral rights” or other rights with respect to attribution of authorship or integrity of materials regarding each Submission that you may have under any applicable law under any legal theory.
- Monitoring. We may (but have no obligation to) monitor, evaluate, alter or remove Submissions before or after they appear on the Services, or analyze your access to or use of the Services. We may disclose information regarding your access to and use of the Services, and the circumstances surrounding such access and use, to anyone for any reason or purpose.
- Your Limited Rights. Subject to your compliance with this Agreement, and solely for so long as you are permitted by Company to use the Services, you may view one (1) copy of any portion of the Services to which we provide you access under this Agreement, on any single device, solely for your personal, private, non-commercial use.
- Company’s Proprietary Rights. We and our suppliers own the Services, which is protected by proprietary rights and laws. Our trade names, trademarks and service marks include Vitagene and 1Health.io and any associated logos. All trade names, trademarks, service marks and logos on the Services not owned by us are the property of their respective owners. You may not use our trade names, trademarks, service marks or logos in connection with any product or service that is not ours, or in any manner that is likely to cause confusion. Nothing contained on the Services should be construed as granting any right to use any trade names, trademarks, service marks or logos without the express prior written consent of the owner.
- Third Party Materials; Links. Certain functionality relating to the Services may make available access to information, blog posts, success stories, products, services and other materials made available by third parties (including nutritionists, customers and public figures), including Submissions (“Third Party Materials”), or allow for the routing or transmission of such Third Party Materials, including via links. By using such functionality, you are directing us to access, route and transmit to you the applicable Third Party Materials.
We neither control nor endorse, nor are we responsible for, any Third Party Materials, including the accuracy, validity, timeliness, completeness, reliability, integrity, quality, legality, usefulness or safety of Third Party Materials, or any intellectual property rights therein. Certain Third Party Materials may, among other things, be inaccurate, misleading or deceptive. Nothing in this Agreement shall be deemed to be a representation or warranty by Company with respect to any Third Party Materials. We have no obligation to monitor Third Party Materials, and we may block or disable access to any Third Party Materials (in whole or part) through the Services at any time. In addition, the availability of any Third Party Materials through the Services does not imply our endorsement of, or our affiliation with, any provider of such Third Party Materials, nor does such availability create any legal relationship between you and any such provider.
Your use of Third Party Materials is at your own risk and is subject to any additional terms, conditions and policies applicable to such Third Party Materials (such as terms of service or privacy policies of the providers of such Third Party Materials).
- Disclaimer of Warranties. To the fullest extent permitted under applicable law: (a) the Services and any Products and Third Party Materials are made available to you on an “As Is,” “Where Is” and “Where Available” basis, without any warranties of any kind, whether express, implied or statutory; and (b) Company disclaims all warranties with respect to the Services and any Products and Third Party Materials, including the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement and title. All disclaimers of any kind (including in this section and elsewhere in this Agreement) are made for the benefit ofboth Company and its affiliates and their respective shareholders, directors, officers, employees, affiliates, agents, representatives, licensors, suppliers and service providers (collectively, the “Affiliated Entities”), and their respective successors and assigns.
While we try to maintain the timeliness, integrity and security of the Services, we do not guarantee that the Services is or will remain updated, complete, correct or secure, or that access to the Services will be uninterrupted. The Services may include inaccuracies, errors and materials that violate or conflict with this Agreement. Additionally, third parties may make unauthorized alterations to the Services. If you become aware of any such alteration, contact us at email@example.com with a description of such alteration and its location on the Services.
- Limitation of Liability. To the fullest extent permitted under applicable law: (a) Company will not be liable for any indirect, incidental, consequential, special, exemplary or punitive damages of any kind, under any contract, tort (including negligence), strict liability or other theory, including damages for loss of profits, use or data, loss of other intangibles, loss of security of Submissions (including unauthorized interception by third parties of any Submissions), even if advised in advance of the possibility of such damages or losses; (b) without limiting the foregoing, Company will not be liable for damages of any kind resulting from your use of or inability to use the Services or from any Products or Third Party Materials, including from any Virus that may be transmitted in connection therewith; (c) your sole and exclusive remedy for dissatisfaction with the Services or any Products or Third Party Materials is to stop using the Services; and (d) the maximum aggregate liability of Company for all damages, losses and causes of action, whether in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise, shall be one thousand U.S. Dollars ($1,000.00). All limitations of liability of any kind (including in this section and elsewhere in this Agreement) are made for the benefit of both Company and the Affiliated Entities, and their respective successors and assigns.
- Indemnity. To the fullest extent permitted under applicable law, you agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Company and the Affiliated Entities, and their respective successors and assigns, from and against all claims, liabilities, damages, judgments, awards, losses, costs, expenses and fees (including attorneys’ fees) arising out of or relating to (a) your use of, or activities in connection with, the Services (including all Products); and (b) any violation or alleged violation of this Agreement by you.
- Termination. This Agreement is effective until terminated. Company may terminate or suspend your use of the Services at any time and without prior notice, for any or no reason, including if Company believes that you have violated or acted inconsistently with the letter or spirit of this Agreement. Upon any such termination or suspension, your right to use the Services will immediately cease, and Company may, without liability to you or any third party, immediately deactivate or delete your user name, password and account, and all associated materials, without any obligation to provide any further access to such materials. Sections 2–6, 7–11 and 13–23 shall survive any expiration or termination of this Agreement.
- Governing Law; Arbitration. The terms of this Agreement, and any claim or dispute relating to or arising under this Agreement or in connection with your use of the Services (each a “Dispute”), are governed by and shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the United States (including federal arbitration law) and the State of California, U.S.A., without regard to its principles of conflicts of law, or any rules of private international law, that would lead to the applicable of any other laws. EXCEPT FOR DISPUTES THAT QUALIFY FOR SMALL CLAIMS COURT, ALL DISPUTES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THIS AGREEMENT OR ANY ASPECT OF THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN YOU AND US, WHETHER BASED IN CONTRACT, TORT, STATUTE, FRAUD, MISREPRESENTATION OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, WILL BE RESOLVED THROUGH FINAL AND BINDING ARBITRATION BEFORE A NEUTRAL ARBITRATOR INSTEAD OF IN A COURT BY A JUDGE OR JURY, AND YOU AGREE THAT YOU AND WE ARE EACH WAIVING THE RIGHT TO TRIAL BY A JURY. YOU AGREE THAT ANY ARBITRATION UNDER THIS AGREEMENT WILL TAKE PLACE ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS; CLASS ARBITRATIONS AND CLASS ACTIONS ARE NOT PERMITTED AND YOU ARE AGREEING TO GIVE UP THE ABILITY TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION. The arbitration will be administered on an individual basis (i.e., not as a class arbitration or class action) by the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”). If you are an individual access or using the Service in your individual capacity, the arbitration will be conducted pursuant to AAA’s Consumer Arbitration Rules, as amended by this Agreement. The Consumer Arbitration Rules are available online at https://adr.org/sites/default/files/Consumer%20Rules.pdf. If you are an Organization or an individual accessing or using the Services on behalf of, or for the benefit of, an Organization, the arbitration will be conducted pursuant to AAA’s Commercial Arbitration Rules, as amended by this Agreement. The Commercial Arbitration Rules are available online at https://adr.org/sites/default/files/Commercial%20Rules.pdf.
If you are an individual accessing or using the Services in your individual capacity, (a) the arbitrator will conduct hearings, if any, by teleconference or videoconference, rather than by personal appearances, unless the arbitrator determines upon request by you or by us that an in-person hearing is appropriate, (b) any in-person appearances will be held at a location which is reasonably convenient to both parties with due consideration of their ability to travel and other pertinent circumstances, and (c) if the parties are unable to agree on a location, such determination should be made by the American Arbitration Association or by the arbitrator. If you are an Organization or an individual accessing or using the Services on behalf of, or for the benefit of, an Organization, the arbitrator will conduct hearings, if any, in-person in the County of San Francisco in the State of California, U.S.A.
The arbitrator’s decision will follow the terms of this Agreement and will be final and binding. The arbitrator will have authority to award temporary, interim or permanent injunctive relief or relief providing for specific performance of this Agreement, but only to the extent necessary to provide relief warranted by the individual claim before the arbitrator. The award rendered by the arbitrator may be confirmed and enforced in any court having jurisdiction thereof. You agree that the federal and state courts located in the County of San Francisco in the State of California, U.S.A., will have such jurisdiction, and you hereby waive any jurisdictional, venue or inconvenient forum objections to such courts. Notwithstanding any of the foregoing, nothing in this Agreement will preclude you from bringing issues to the attention of federal, state or local agencies and, if the law allows, they can seek relief against us for you.
This Agreement will not be governed by the U.N. Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods.
- Filtering. We hereby notify you that parental control protections (such as computer hardware, software or filtering services) are commercially available that may assist you in limiting access to material that is harmful to minors. Information identifying current providers of such protections is available from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_content-control_software_and_providers. Please note that Company does not endorse any of the products or services listed on such site.
- Information or Complaints. If you have a question or complaint regarding the Services, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact us by writing to 388 Market Street Suite 1300 San Francisco, CA, US, 94111. Please note that e-mail communications will not necessarily be secure; accordingly you should not include credit card information or other sensitive information in your e-mail correspondence with us. California residents may reach the Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Services of the California Department of Consumer Affairs by mail at 1625 North Market Blvd., Sacramento, CA 95834, or by telephone at (916) 445-1254 or (800) 952-5210.
- Export Controls. You are responsible for complying with United States export controls and for any violation of such controls, including any United States embargoes or other federal rules and regulations restricting exports. You represent, warrant and covenant that you are not (a) located in, or a resident or a national of, any country subject to a U.S. government embargo or other restriction, or that has been designated by the U.S. government as a “terrorist supporting” country; or (b) on any of the U.S. government lists of restricted end users.
- Miscellaneous. This Agreement does not, and shall not be construed to, create any partnership, joint venture, employer-employee, agency or franchisor-franchisee relationship between you and Company. If any provision of this Agreement is found to be unlawful, void or for any reason unenforceable, that provision will be deemed severable from this Agreement and will not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provision. You may not assign, transfer or sublicense any or all of your rights or obligations under this Agreement without our express prior written consent. We may assign, transfer or sublicense any or all of our rights or obligations under this Agreement without restriction. No waiver by either party of any breach or default under this Agreement will be deemed to be a waiver of any preceding or subsequent breach or default. Any heading, caption or section title contained herein is for convenience only, and in no way defines or explains any section or provision. All terms defined in the singular shall have the same meanings when used in the plural, where appropriate and unless otherwise specified. Any use of the term “including” or variations thereof in this Agreement shall be construed as if followed by the phrase “without limitation.” This Agreement, including any terms and conditions incorporated herein, is the entire agreement between you and Company relating to the subject matter hereof, and supersedes any and all prior or contemporaneous written or oral agreements or understandings between you and Company relating to such subject matter. Notices to you (including notices of changes to this Agreement) may be made via posting to the Services or by e-mail (including in each case via links), or by regular mail. Without limitation, a printed version of this Agreement and of any notice given in electronic form shall be admissible in judicial or administrative proceedings based upon or relating to this Agreement to the same extent and subject to the same conditions as other business documents and records originally generated and maintained in printed form. Company will not be responsible for any failure to fulfill any obligation due to any cause beyond its control.
Site © 2020 VITAGENE, INC. unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
Consent for Research
Vitagene’s Consent for Research
Here at Vitagene, we are passionate about the future of healthcare.
We believe that by leveraging science and data, we can not only fulfill our mission of helping our members reach and maintain their own peak health, but we can also change the landscape of the healthcare industry. This is where you come in. Vitagene’s comprehensive suite of tests, lifestyle recommendations, and clinical input means that you’ll have a 360-degree picture of your health and a deeper understanding of what makes you, well, you. Learning what makes you so unique and, conversely, what makes you similar to others is not only fascinating; it’s also incredibly impactful, both for informing your personal wellness and for driving advancements in scientific research.
Our team of scientific researchers collects and analyzes data to discern trends, draw connections, and separate what’s working from what’s not. Our goal is to use these results to improve our supplement, lifestyle, and health recommendations and to help you reach and maintain the best health of your life.
As a Vitagene customer, you get the first opportunity to participate in our exciting research program. The consent form below allows you to opt-in to these studies and offers you all the basic details.
Here are a few answers to common questions:
Q: Is my privacy protected?
A: Absolutely. Your privacy is our number one priority.
All data used for research purposes is aggregated and de-identified. That means your identifying data is removed and that your remaining data is collected among many other data points and studied as a whole. None of your private information, such as name, address, or email, is associated with this aggregated data. Vitagene may use this collected, anonymous data to publish exciting scientific discoveries that result from your contribution (and others!).
Q: What happens if I opt out?
A: Your decision to join the research study or not does not impact any aspect of your Vitagene order, medical care, or relationship with your physician.
Q: Can I opt-in at a later time?
A: Yes! You may opt-in or out at any time. You can update your opt-in/opt-out status in your account settings. Whether or not you decided to participate in the research now, or if you decide to withdraw later, your decision will not result in any penalty or loss of benefits to which you are entitled.
Q: If I opt-in, what is expected from me?
A: Nothing! Upon opt-in, there’s nothing further you need to do to contribute to this research program.
Vitagene Protocol #001: Retrospective and Prospective Analysis of Clinical, Laboratory and Interpretative Data (VITA study)
001 WIRB® Protocol # 20152041
Dr. Reza Malek 415 Brannan Street, San Francisco, CA 94107.
If you provide your consent, your personal data will be linked to a randomly generated number and stored in our research database. There will be no direct link between your data and any published research that may come from your participation in the study. Only members of the study staff will collect the data. The data will be kept on our secure cloud services, which will be linked to each customer only via a unique study identification number. The list linking the customer and the unique study identification number will be stored on a password-protected file.
RISKS AND DISCOMFORTS
Participation in this study involves minimal risk to participants. A potential risk to customers is the highly unlikely accidental disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI). However, all research staff have been trained on Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) to guide appropriate use and disclosure of PHI. Since this is only a chart review, we do not anticipate any direct risks to the customers.
This study is unrelated to your personal medical history or any related health treatments. Your condition(s) may not get better or may get worse during this study.
You will be told about any new information that might change your decision to be in this study. You may be asked to sign a new consent form if this occurs.
You will not benefit directly from your participation in this research. Customers may benefit from improvements that are made to the Vitagene supplement recommendation database as a result of this research. Additionally, customers may indirectly benefit from any discoveries made from any published research that is generated from the data we use for research.
There are no costs directly related to participation in this study.
PAYMENT FOR PARTICIPATION
You will not be paid for being in this study.
This is not a treatment study. Your alternative is not to be in this study.
SOURCE OF FUNDING FOR THE STUDY
Vitagene will pay for any costs associated with this research study.
Contact Vitagene (24 hours) for any of the following reasons:
- If you have any questions about your participation in this study
- If you have questions, concerns or complaints about the research
- If you have questions about your rights as a research subject
If you have questions, concerns or complaints about the research, you may contact:
1019 39th Avenue SE Suite 120
Puyallup, Washington 98374-2115
Telephone: 1-800-562-4789 or 360-252-2500
WIRB is a group of people who independently review research. WIRB will not be able to answer some study-specific questions, such as questions about appointment times. However, you may contact WIRB if the research staff cannot be reached or if you wish to talk to someone other than the research staff.
I have read this consent form (or it has been read to me). All my questions about the study and my part in it have been answered. I freely consent to be in this research study.
I authorize the release of my medical and research records for the purpose of this study. By signing this consent form, I have not given up any of my legal rights.
What information may be used and given to others?
The study staff will receive your personal and medical information. For example:
- Genetic information
- Research records
- Blood work information
- Lifestyle data
- Any information from fillable forms during the registration process
- Any additional fillable forms or information you provide to us during your time as a Vitagene customer
Your Credit card information, home address, and phone number will not be included as part of the research record.
Who may use and receive information about you?
The study doctor and the study staff may use your information. The research team may also use your anonymous research information for published studies in the future. The sponsor of this research may receive information about you. “Sponsor” means any persons or companies that are: working for or with the sponsor, or owned by the sponsor. Your information may also be given to: Western Institutional Review Board® (WIRB®).
Why will this information be used and/or given to others?
- To do the research
- To study the results
- To assess if the research was done right.
If the results of this study are made public, information that identifies you will not be used.
May I review or copy my information?
Yes, but only after the research is over.
May I withdraw or revoke (cancel) my permission?
You may withdraw or take away your permission to use and disclose your health information at any time. You do this by sending written notice to the study doctor. If you withdraw your permission, you will not be able to stay in this study. When you withdraw your permission, no new health information identifying you will be gathered after that date. Information that has already been gathered may still be used and given to others.
Your participation in this study may be stopped at any time by the study doctor or the sponsor without your consent for any reason, including:
- If it is in your best interest
- If you do not consent to continue in the study after being told of changes in the research that may affect you
This permission will be good until December 31, 2060.
EXPERIMENTAL SUBJECT’S BILL OF RIGHTS
California law, under Health & Safety Code Section 24172, requires that anyone who is asked to be in a research study (medical experiment), or who is asked to agree for someone else to be in a research study, has the right to know the following, in a language in which the person is fluent:
- Both the nature and reason for the research study or experiment.
- What will happen during the research study, and what drug or device will be used.
- Any expected discomforts and risks from taking part in the research.
- Any possible benefits to being in the research.
- The risks and benefits of any non-experimental medical procedures, drugs, or devices that could be used instead of being in the research.
- How research related complications will be treated during and after the research study is over.
Questions can be asked about the research and about anything that will be done during the research study. The research subject can stop taking part in the research study at any time for any reason without penalty or loss of benefits. No one can pressure, force or unduly influence any person to take part in research.
WIRB California Experimental Subject’s Bill of Rights 051310